Monday 26 July 2021

 

Labyrinth Gifts

I have had a few reminders of labyrinths in the last few days, the latest one during my morning meditation today, so I thought I would be brave and share a bit.  

But before, very briefly, the concept of a labyrinth dates back to about 2500 BC and is supposed to represent the shape of mother nature with the single access place reflecting the umbilical cord; giving birth to our soul. Unlike a maze where you can get lost and come to many a dead end, a labyrinth follows a pattern and so in removing choices in the path walked, the pattern allows for deep contemplation and opens up its walkers to their Divine inner wisdom.  

One of my most loved and sacred spaces that I was blessed enough to visit on numerous occasions, was the majestic labyrinth at Boondocks, near Barberton in Mpumalanga.  I went down a bit of a memory lane today with some melancholy and sadness as I would really love to visit and walk that labyrinth again.  It has an energy all of its own.  It is based on the classic medieval labyrinth in Charles Cathedral in France, which was built in 1204.  I have not been to the one in France and would one day really love to visit it.  I wonder if it will have the same effect on me as the one in Mpumalanga.  As I said, this labyrinth created by Stuart Jenson, who sadly passed away in 2016, is simply magical.  It lies under a magnificent canopy of trees, along a little stream and is frequented by exquisite forest birds and creatures and it also rests upon powerful ancient rocks which date back 3.5-billion years.  Stuart built it around the trees and as a result, the path is adapted, hence every now and again there is a beautiful bend that wasn’t in the original and a curve cradles a tree, allowing it to remain. This sacred space has helped me discover numerous insights and process many emotions in unique ways.  Some times I felt heavy and weighed down and at other times, I skipped and danced my whole way through the labyrinth, light as a feather.  I’ve walked it slowly and lain in the centre for what feels like hours, I’ve walked it alone, with close friends and with other retreaters.  Every time it has offered gifts, big and small.  Once, I could even smell the presence of my grandmother.  I was deeply moved.  Different areas seem to invite different reflections. It feels like the Divine is having a conversation with you through the labyrinth and all that surrounds it… the trees, the wind, the leaves, the birds, the stream, the stillness…  They all offer messages and reflections.  It is a deeply sacred space.

My whole family has been blessed to share in the majesty of this beautiful creation and I am very grateful for this.  It will always have a very special place in my heart.  Thank you Stuart, always for this gift.
The other message I received around labyrinths in the last few days is when I was pondering some of my patterning I have been working on for a long time and it still keeps cropping up in different ways.  I was feeling that I had surely dealt with this by now.  Then, I came across this paragraph in one of my readings from Angela Deutschmann (who introduced me to Boondocks, Ann Barr and Stuart Jenson.) It was perfect timing and I found it very comforting.   

“This is unquestionably your next step up. And it is also a next step up for a large group of people who have been steadily growing, steadily healing, steadily lifting out of shame and blame and victimhood.
There are natural steps along that road, you know. And you can’t rush them. And you can’t skip a few. Often the path, like a labyrinth, turns you back to where you think you’ve already been. Yes. The evolution of you is and will always be a mystery. You will never understand it completely. You are not meant to control it, or be in any way in charge of how and when and through what means your evolving occurs.  And you needn’t understand all of it or be in charge of your journey. There will always be unexpected events, both in your world and in yourself. And there will always be an invisible guiding hand underneath your path.”

I felt a deep sense of gratitude and it reminded me that being aware of our patterns is part of our unique journey of evolution.  

While the Boondocks labyrinth is no longer available for public visiting, I am finding huge joy, comfort, contemplation and Divine connection in the magnificent forests that surround us here on the North Coast.  They too, along with their charming creatures, convey beautiful messages of contemplation every time.  Even simply sitting in my garden in the morning sun and drinking a cup of tea invites these joyful moments. 

All we ever need to do is to is to face fully and tell the truth about where we are in each moment.











For Stuart's Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment