Monday 9 September 2013

My Found Poem

I did a fun exercise with two of my women's circle groups and it worked out really well and is quite fun to do.  My wonderful and arty friend Anne told me about Found Poems, which are compositions made by combining fragments of newspapers, signs or menus and rearranging them into the form of a poem.  I love this idea as I think it takes away the 'fear' that many people have around writing a poem.

So, I took a whole lot of poems, divided them up into fragments and phrases and dealt those out to the group and I was amazed at the poetry that sprung forth!!

Here is my one - it is rooted in my thoughts around my dad's passing ...


CRACKED OPEN

I want to write about faith.
I cannot tell you that I know the road;

Life! Burning so extravagantly 
and black sticks left when the fire has gone out

The caged bird sings with fearful trill.

Yet the time will come when
I rise
I rise
I rise

and the world will turn into the light again;
and our hearts will continue to expand
out from our individual self

What is this source from which we drink?




1 comment: