Thursday 10 April 2014

Light Up, Light Up ...

A few weeks ago at a restaurant that I frequent for work and circle meetings, I heard a song that I haven't heard in a while and that I used to love.  Then I heard it again on Tuesday and decided I had to download it onto I-Tunes. In doing that I found a YouTube clip of it which I think is just beautiful.  I LOVE her voice and the end of the song gives me goosebumps.  It is Leona Lewis’ version of "Run" (the original is by Snow Patrol) and when I looked up the meaning of the lyrics, this is what I found on Wikipedia …

Snow Patrol's frontman, Gary Lightbody, conceived the idea of writing "Run" in 2000. In an interview with Michael Odell, from Q magazine, Lightbody explained the song was not written about "being a child", as he tended to say. He described: "I was on a massive bender and one night I was drinking in the bar of the Glasgow School of Art. I fell down a full flight of stairs. Jonny Quinn found me in the stairwell with blood coming out of my head ... I split my head open and my eye was closed and I lost a few teeth ... I wrote Run soon after on this little guitar I'd tried to smash up in my shitty little room near Hillhead. The words 'Light up, light up' gave me this sense of a beacon." In an interview with Daily Mail in 2009, Lightbody added: "We had nothing. I was in a flat in Glasgow. No doubt it was raining. The song was me writing about an imagined world, projecting myself into better times."

Here is the video clip.  The actual song starts about 2 minutes into it.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment