Wednesday 26 September 2012

Over this long weekend, I made some space to "slow down the room" and did some lovely baking, singing along to some gorgeous music and just really relaxing and getting totally into it.  It was lovely to be so unhurried and creative, and for me, it is one way of getting in touch with myself.  You don't always need to meditate, to slow down your heart rate and your mind!

I have managed to sort out a whole lot of my old recipes and it has been magical discovering some of these old gems and making them again.  My best friend from school is Cypriot and every now and then her mom used to spoil us with those delicious Greek biscuits, Kourabeides - the ones dusted in icing sugar - and we used to go up to the far end of the field and just revel in the deliciousness of these melt-in-your-mouth biscuits.  When we were in our last year of high school, her mom gave us a lesson in how to make them and I wrote it down word for word, being very green in the baking and cooking department!  I only plucked up the courage to make them years later and every time I make them and read the recipe in my original green ink, I think of the excitement of the two of us, opening the lunchbox to these little moon shaped gems!

Thank you Mrs Economou for the wonderful memories and the perfect accompaniment to my cup of tea this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment